Sunday 27 July 2008

Slipped through the net...again

After seeing that a Great White Egret had been reported at Cresswell Pond on birdguides for the second time this year I thought I've got to see this.
I couldn't leave until about half six so I had to pray that it would hang around long enough for me to get a good look.
As I got to Ellington there was a huge sea fret which would make visabillity very difficult but still I stayed positive...until...
As I arrived at Cresswell I could just about see the road in front of me but noticed that the pond was completely covered in fog.
I parked on the road side and walked to the edge of the causeway where it was like a scene from a low budget horror film complete with eerie curlew sound effects.
After about ten minutes the fog lifted a little but still no sign of any Egret.
As I walked up to the hide for one last chance a Barn Owl flew out of the reeds on the small pond and began hunting over the reeds, stopping breifly on a fence post. That made me feel like I hadn't wasted my time completely.
As you can probably guess I saw nothing else due to the fog and went home.
Birds like this mysterious Great White Egret seem to be reported once and then nothing else is heard about them which makes me wonder...

No comments: