Monday 21 June 2010

Rough Sketch

Yesterday I had planned to go on the puffin cruise around Coquet Island with SH and DMcK but it was cancelled due to a large sea swell.
Instead we started off the day with an hours sea watch from Church Point. A few Great Skuas went passed but without a scope they were hard to see. I did manage to see 2 Manx Shearwater heading north and a flock of Teal.
On the beach from the car park I spotted a single Med Gull lurking amongst the gull flock.

We went inland next to Beacon Hill. A few family parties of tits were flicking around the treetops as were a family of Nuthatch. Also a juv Spotted Flycatcher was being fed insects by an adult.
A cuckoo was resting on the lower branches of a tree on the moor viewed from the gate.

We then headed back to the coast were the highlight of the day was a stunning summer plumage Ruff feeding on the shoreline right in front of the Oddie Hide.
Now that I have a bit more time on my hands I intend on doing a few more bird drawings, instead of taking crap photos.

Out last stop was Arcot Pond were the water level is lowering nicely. An Arcot mega was calling from the reeds in the northeast corner, a Reed Warbler- Patch tick.
For some reason they only turn up at Arcot every couple of years and Valley Park has become more reliable for them in resent years.

107 - Reed Warbler


4 comments:

Unknown said...

looks canny, wish I could draw. whats that in bottom left, a tag :P

Citybirding said...

Great sighting and sketch.

Crammy Birder said...

Cheers, its my art signature but I did it wrong :)

Stewart said...

Get in there Phil, I hope to see more of those drawings....