Saturday 7 May 2011

End of April Begining of May

Over the last two weeks I have been finishing off my final pieces of work for uni before I officially finish for the summer on Monday.
In between doing work I have been able to get out and do some birding though. Also I forgot to mention in my last post that on the morning that the Wryneck was at WH, I had a very early singing Garden Warbler on the roundabout in front of the entrance to WH.

27th April
I got a lift up to Lesbury with GM Liverbirder that night to see the night heron.
After two hours of searching up and down the river, eventually at 8:50 the Night Heron flew over our heads down river and landed on the bank side next to the viaduct.
During those two hours we waited Common Sandpiper, Green Woodpecker, Grasshopper Warbler and a Tawny Owl were all active around the viaduct.


29th April

I went up to Harthope with SH and DMcK. We walked around most of the main tracks in the valley and as a result ended up seeing Stonechat, 3 Whinchat, 2 Ring Ouzel, 2 Redstart, 2 Cuckoo and Tree Pipit.
On the way home we stopped at WH where a Lesser Whitethroat was singing from the entrance plantation and 2 Ringed Plover were on the main pool. Also 2 Common Terns were at Arcot.

Last night after GM told me there were 3 Wood Sandpiper at West Hartford I went and had a look. As I approached the main pool 4 waders flew off SW. I presumed they were the WS but when I looked at the other side of the pool 3 WS were there feeding along with a Ringed Plover. I didn’t think anything else of it as I though they had just landed again without me noticing.

This morning when I went for another look I found 7 feeding together in the SE corner of the main pool along with a Redshank. I now think that there were also 7 last night and the other 3 had been there the whole time, either way 7 Wood Sandpipers is still and impressive sight.


90- Garden Warbler
91- Redshank
92- Common Tern
93- Ringed Plover
94- Lesser Whitethroat
95- Undisclosed
96- Wood Sandpiper

No comments: