Saturday 7 April 2012

AM

I was at West Hartford at 6:30 this morning. Amongst the Teal were 5 (1 female and 4 drake) Gadwall, which soon flew off towards the river.
Next I went to the stairs by the river and sat there for an hour. A couple of Jays were calling as was a GS Woodpecker and 2 Treecreeper, which got very close. Again I heard a possible Marsh Tit but never saw it. A Comorant flew down the river and landed on a trunk in the middle of the river before fishing.

2 Short Eared Owls were still hunting the fields as I walk around. My first Willow Warbler of the year was singing away from the plantation behind the substation as were a few Blackcap.
I decided to walk along the fence line behind the pools leading towards the farm next. Another Cormorant with more white on it flew over the river and in the hedgerow along the fence line a Yellowhammer was singing.
As I was leaving 4 Canada Geese circled the pools before flying off SW.

The first stage in combatting the mice invasion in the garden shed was a success last night. It seems Mars Bar covered in Nutella was too tempting for them as 3 Wood Mice were in the humane traps this morning.

No comments: