Thursday 6 March 2014

Through the week

On Monday I had my first trip to West Hartford in a while. A pair of Shelduck and a Lesser Black Backed Gull were new on the patch for me for the year, both were amongst the Lapwing, Oystercatchers and BH Gulls on the main pool.
As I was leaving I checked the fields behind the entrance plantation. Almost a year to the day since first seeing them for the first time at WH, I was surprised to hear the chirping of 5 or 6 Tree Sparrow in the hedgerow. As I left I could hear them from the roadside.

Tuesday night at 21:45 I was putting the bins out when I heard a strange high pitched call repeating and coming form behind the Brockwell centre.  After listening for a while I think it might have been a female Tawny Owl but I'm not 100%.

yesterday I went accross to Cumbria with Cain, as we drove just passed Haydon Bridge I spotted an odd looking mammal on the side of the road. We pulled over and checked and found the mangled remains of a Polecat! Its a shame I have never seen one in the wild and really don't know much about them, its a shame this was my first sighting.

No comments: