Thursday 24 April 2014

Back to the future

After a family bereavement and work commitments I am slowly getting back to birding in what spare time I have. I managed to see the Ferruginous Duck at Gosforth Park the other week which was very nice to see.  The patch has been relatively  quiet, I missed the GW Egret at Arcot but I have just been enjoying watching the more expected common migrants preform well and in good numbers early on. Cramlington seems to be carpeted with Ladybirds at the moment, I dont know if anyone has noticed a similar pattern anywhere else?

On sunday I did the WEBS count at Castle Island with SH. I cant remember the last time it was as exciting. The usual's were on the island and in the water near the bridge but east of the island in the river were a pair of Red Breasted Merganser, 4 Goosander and 1 summer plumage Red Throated Diver. The diver didn't stay long and ended up flying back towards the sea. Also a Lesser Whitethroat was calling from the bushes near the cycle track

No comments: