Friday 31 July 2009

WH Marsh Harrier!

I went to West Hartford again last night between 7 and 8. The Gull numbers had double since the night before but nothing interesting amongst them.
I have noticed that some gulls are also on the small puddles inside the new building site area.

As I was leaving I checked the field, which borders East Hartford near the river. Usually there is nothing to see there but as I looked up a Marsh Harrier- Patch tick, was level with the hedgerow.
The Harrier went down behind the hedgerow and that was the last I saw of it.
I went behind the electricity building to get a better view of the field where I had seen it last but there was no sign.
It was probably heading west to follow the river on the other side of the trees.
I then went to the pool in case it went past but I couldn’t see it.
One major disadvantage of West Hartford is that the uneven ground makes it hard to see anything in flight unless it is going overhead.
Whilst waiting at the pool five Shellduck landed, 3 Juv, 2 adults.

I phoned Steve H who arrived as I was leaving; he told me that LMcD had a Marsh Harrier at Arcot Pond earlier in the afternoon. I got a text from him later saying the Barn Owl and Short Eared Owl were both out.

103- Marsh Harrier

No comments: