Friday 18 March 2011

70

I broke up for Easter yesterday, so spent a couple of hours at West Hartford this afternoon.
As I was approaching the main pool, a good number of gulls were bathing at the back along with 20+ Lapwing and 8 Oystercatcher. Most of the gulls were BH, Common and Herring but there were also 3 Lesser Black Backs amongst them.
I checked again for Jack Snipe but only found 21 Common Snipe and around 30 Teal. Most of the Teal landed on the pool and after checking through them, couldn’t find a vertical stripe.
2 Skylark and 4 Meadow pipit were vocal the whole time I was there and 2 Common Buzzards circled above the farm building and back fields.

The two patch ticks which took me to 70 today were a pair of Gadwall and a pair of Shelduck which swam around with 4 Mallard before both pairs flew off south.

69 - Shelduck

70 - Gadwall

2 comments:

John Malloy said...

Gadwall are always good at WH!

Crammy Birder said...

Aye, they were only my second ever pair there. I am still doing badly with Wilfowl at WH.Still haven't had Wigeon, Pochard, Goosander, Coot or any Grebes, only had PF Goose and Tufted Duck once, its just not deep enough to hold them anymore.