Monday 16 March 2009

Three geese but no Goosander

I quickly checked Arcot Pond after my first lesson today. The pond was busy today; BH Gull and Herring Gull were on the dead wood with two Oystercatchers.
2 Mute Swans were in the southwest corner with 10 Teal, 1 Grey Heron and 6 Mallard.
A male Kestrel was hunting over the trees west of the pond. In the middle of the Pond there were 6 Pochard, 1 Gadwall, 3 Goldeneye and 5 Coot.
As I looked at the back of the pond I saw 2 Greylag Geese swim out of the reeds and join two Canada Geese- Patch tick.
I then heard more geese and when I looked up saw 13 Pink Footed Geese fly northwest.
I checked the southwest corner again for the female Goosander (no sign), but I did see a Little Grebe on the edge of the reeds – Patch Tick.
I then heard as least two more little Grebes trilling from the reeds, the Canadas and little grebe now take my patch year total to 71.

Canada Goose - 70
Little Grebe - 71

No comments: