Wednesday 20 November 2013

Very Vis Mig

On Saturday whilst viewing the north pool at East Chevington from in front of the hide we noticed small flocks of Starlings coming in off the sea. A smaller bird was present near one of the flocks and it then separated and headed towards us. As it got closer we could see that it was a tired looking Goldcrest , it flew through the channel in the cut reeds, up the bank and then hovered like a Hummingbird in front of me and tried to land on my shoulder! It must of thought better of this and then took off over the hide.

After seeing the Woodcock in my garden last week I have seen a few more on my travels both typically in the evening at coastal locations. Last Tuesday at 20:45 one was sitting on the roadside grass opposite the Sea life Centre at Tynemouth. Before I had a chance to get closer a dog walker flushed it and it flew off over the cliffs towards Sharpness Point.
On Monday at 17:15 between the car park at Blyth Community Hospital and Morrisons a Woodcock was curled up on the grass next to the curb. This bird seemed very tired and made no attempt to move as car passed it so I left it in peace.

No comments: